There are 12 Sun Signs (sometimes called Star signs). This is what people mean when they ask for your "sign." It is a very small part of your overall natal chart. It represents the Ego, or your Default Settings.
- Aries (March 21 - April 19)*
- Taurus (April 20 - May 20)
- Gemini (May 21 - June 20)
- Cancer (June 21 - July 22)
- Leo (July 23 - Aug 22)
- Virgo (Aug 23 - Sep 22)
- Libra (Sep 23 - Oct 22)
- Scorpio (Oct 23 - Nov 21)
- Sagittarius (Nov 22 - Dec 21)
- Capricorn (Dec 22 - Jan 19)
- Aquarius (Jan 20 - Feb 18)
- Pisces (Feb 19 - March 20)
*Dates are approximate values that can vary with birth times and locations.
Each sign corresponds with a House, elements, and characteristics. The Houses carry those characteristics in them. For instance, Aquarius is the 11th sign. The 11th House is ruled by Aquarius. Aquarius is an Air element, and the sign of friendship and humanitarianism, therefore, planets and signs that fall into the 11th House reflect the influence of the House they reside in at the time of birth. So, if someone has Leo in the 11th House, they will approach their friendships in a very different way than someone with Scorpio in the 11th House would.
Breakdown of the Signs
- Aries - Symbol: The Ram
Ruling Planet: Mars
Characteristics: Aggressive, spontaneous, powerful, impulsive, impatient, thrill-seeking, hard-headed, fierce, quick, passionate, enthusiastic, energetic, excited.
- Taurus - Symbol: The Bull
Ruling Planet: Venus
Characteristics: Possessive, materialistic, pleasure-seeking, warm, stubborn, romantic, sensitive, patient, unyielding, trustworthy, steady, reliable, hard-working, responsible, devoted.
- Gemini - Symbol: The Twins, Castor & Pollux
Ruling Planet: Mercury
Characteristics: Chatty, information-seeking, two-faced, curious, change-seeking, flighty, quick-witted, experimental, inconsistent, has trouble making up their mind.
- Cancer - Symbol: The Crab
Ruling Planet: The Moon
Characteristics: Sensitive, care-taking, defensive, sweet, empathetic, psychic, compassionate, secretive, moody, emotionally-driven, cautious, enjoys comforts of the home and family.
- Leo - Symbol: The Lion
Ruling Planet: The Sun
Characteristics: Generous, passionate, inflexible, romantic, self-focused, fun-seeking, creative, talkative, insecure, child-like, optimistic, dramatic, bossy, controlling, protective.
- Virgo - Symbol: The Virgin
Ruling Planet: Mercury
Characteristics: Serving, dedicated, organized, mood-swings, helpful, kind, detail-oriented, picky, traditional, hard-working, analytical, critical, perfectionist.
- Libra - Symbol: The Scales
Ruling Planet: Venus
Characteristics: Love of beauty, peaceful, indecisive, judgmental, fair, romantic, intelligent, talkative, materialistic, fake, attractive, thoughtful, sweet, forgiving, vain.
- Scorpio - Symbol: The Scorpion
Ruling Planet: Mars and Pluto
Characteristics: Passionate, dark, deep, thoughtful, sensitive, emotional, secretive, seductive, intuitive, victimization, grudge-holding, temperamental, loyal, sexual.
- Sagittarius - Symbol: The Archer, Centaur Shooting an Arrow
Ruling Planet: Jupiter
Characteristics: Philosophical, knowledge-seeking, curiosity, higher-education, travel, explorer, distant, selfish, experimental, non-traditional, lucky, funny, freedom-seeking.
- Capricorn - Symbol: The Goat, Half Goat Half Fish
Ruling Planet: Saturn
Characteristics: Traditional, responsible, cold, depressive, sarcastic, sense of humor, dry-wit, workaholic, "Father of the Zodiac," unemotional, addictive personalities, escapism, serious, loyal, dedicated, detail oriented.
- Aquarius - Symbol: The Waterbearer
Ruling Planet: Uranus and Saturn
Characteristics: Friendly, open-minded, compassionate, distant, unemotional, eccentric, experimental, humanitarian, contradictory, curious, technology-loving, freedom-seeking, rebellious, intelligent, lazy, derealization and depersonalization.
- Pisces - Symbol: Two Fishes
Ruling Planet: Neptune
Characteristics: Imaginative, sensitive, dreamer, empathetic, emotional, withdrawn, creative, musically-inclined, spiritual, dissociative, escapism, loving, caring, romantic, attracted to fantasy, self-preserving.
The Natal Chart is a mathematical concept at its core, not just metaphysical. It is a circle (360°) divided in to 12 sections. These sections are called Houses and are the metaphorical "homes" of the 12 signs of the Zodiac, as determined by the Tropic of Cancer. The signs appear to rotate from the perspective of Earth-dwellers through the Houses. Planets also travel through the Houses in accordance with their rotation around the Earth. (Imagine laying down on the grass and seeing a giant wheel taking up the sky turning all year long above your head.)
When someone is said to be born under a certain Sun sign, they will say their sign is Leo or Aquarius. Some may claim to be a "cusp," which is when (where) a person is born near two signs as they travel over the Earth. Using the math, one can calculate to the degree under which sign a person is. Each House and Sun sign comprises exactly 29°29" (degrees, seconds, respectively). To truly be born "on the cusp" of a sign, one would have to be born at 29°29" of a sign.
Besides the Sun sign, every person has all 12 Zodiac signs in their birth chart, occupying different Houses, with a few exceptions. The only way to find which sign occupies which House is to know your latitude and longitude and time of birth. This determines what the "Wheel" looked like from above when you took your first breath. Additionally, planets also make up a person's chart by showing up in different Zodiac signs. For instance, the Moon rotates around the Earth every 2.5 Earth days. Venus about every four weeks. Each planet's placement will reflect different aspects of your personality.
- Sun* - Rules Leo. Reflects a person's ego or "default setting"; reflects their sense of self (including others' selves), self-worth, individualization, creativity, self-expression, and primary needs.
- Moon* - Rules Cancer. Reflects a person's heart, relationship with women, especially mothers/mother figures, and what someone needs to feel emotionally fulfilled.
- Mercury - Rules Gemini and Virgo. Reflects a person's communication style, learning style, interests in intellectual pursuits, interest in traveling, and health. Associated with writing and language and messengers (Thoth, Hermes).
- Venus - Rules Taurus and Libra. Reflects a person's relationship with money and earthly possessions; reflects what a person finds beautiful and in what they place value; reflects a persons style in relationships, especially, though not limited to, romantic ones. (Goddess of Love, Aphrodite, Isis, Hathor, Lucifer, Inanna/Istar)
- Mars - Rules Aries (sometimes Scorpio). Reflects a person's work style and ethic, level of aggression, passion, and drive; reflects sexual nature. (God of War, Ares)
- Jupiter - Rules Sagittarius. Reflects a person's feelings toward expansion--mental and spiritual; reflects spirituality, philosophies, pursuit of freedom, higher education, and world travel; reflects a person's luck and karma. (God of Lightning, Zeus)
- Saturn - Rules Capricorn and Aquarius. Reflects a person's relationship with work, responsibility, time, adulthood, and reflects a person's sense of duty to society. (God of the Harvest, Scythe, Reaping).
- Uranus - Rules Aquarius. Reflects a person's feelings about and relationships with freedom, expression, rebellion, uniqueness, technology, governments, institutions, humanitarianism, friendship, and "the greater good." (God of Air and Sky).
- Neptune - Rules Pisces. Reflects a person's dreams, illusions, psychic abilities, spirituality, confusion, and inspiration; reflects compassion, susceptibility to addiction, disillusionment, sensitivity (psychic and emotional), and illness. (God of the Sea).
- Pluto - Rules Scorpio. Reflects a person's relationship with and feelings about sex, death, and taxes; reflects all things beneath the surface, rebirth and renewal, obsession, power, control, and destruction. (God of the Underworld, Hel).
*The Sun and Moon are considered planets for the sake of consistency of language. They are alternatively called Luminaries.
- 1st House - self, life, body; Aries
- 2nd House - money, possessions, material circumstances; Taurus
- 3rd House - siblings, childhood, communication, local movement, school, short journeys; Gemini
- 4th House - home, family, roots, parent/mother figure; Cancer
- 5th House - children, animals, creativity, individuality, romance, fun; Leo
- 6th House - health, service, work, routine; Virgo
- 7th House - relationships, balance, marriage, partnerships; Libra
- 8th House - sex, death, taxes, other's money, inheritances; Scorpio
- 9th House - higher education, luck, philosophies, travel, law, morals; Sagittarius
- 10th House - father figure/dominant parent, career, social position, public image; Capricorn
- 11th House - friendship, technology, groups, society, social causes; Aquarius
- 12th House - endings, closure, healing, spirituality, the unknown, mystery, privacy, reflection, self-sacrifice; Pisces