Another of the eight Greater Sabbats on the Wheel of the Year, possibly the most important to pagans and Witches, as it is considered our New Year. The Earth is asleep. The Daughter has Descended into the Underworld, and the Mother mourns her loss. Now is the time where we honor the dead, our ancestors, and appreciate the past, history, and the sacrifices made for us by those who have come before us. We celebrate the Dark, for without Dark, there can be no Light. The opposite of Beltane, the spark of Life. The veil between our world and the Otherside is at its most thin on both of these nights. Get spooky.
Ways to Celebrate
- Make soul cakes
- Decorate for Halloween!
- Do some past life Tarot Readings
- Ouija board
- Eat pomegranates
- Make a shrine to your ancestors
- Decorate your altar with symbols of Death, the Underworld, and mythos concerning heroes' and deities' descent into an underworld (sometimes called the Belly of the Whale for Jungian and Campbell scholars.)
- Visit a cemetery (Don't forget some snacks, coins, and salt!)
- This ritual to celebrate the cycle of life and death
- Start a new Book of Shadows or Grimoire